Recipe: Southern Style Mac & Cheese
3 cups macaroni, uncooked
½ cup heavy cream
1½ cups milk
salt & pepper
1 cup smoked cheddar cheese, shredded (a must)
6-8 oz. velvetta, shredded (feel free to cut back on the velvetta if you don’t want it to be super creamy)
1 cup sharp cheddar (can use less if you don’t like a sharp taste in your mac n cheese)
1 cup Colby & Monterey Jack, shredded (cheese blend)
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Cook macaroni until just al dente or a little under al dente. (Look on the back of the box to see how long you need to cook your pasta for it to reach al dente.) Be careful not to overcook.
- Drain pasta and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add milk, heavy cream & cheeses (except for the smoked cheddar). Stir to combine.
- Taste the milk mixture and add salt & pepper until it has a good taste. You can also add in other seasonings like onion, paprika, etc.
- When you are content with the taste, add the eggs.
- Stir well until combined.
- Butter a 9 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Add macaroni to the baking dish.
- Pour cheese mixture over macaroni.
- Make sure the cheese distributed well.
- Top with smoked cheddar cheese and paprika and/or black pepper, if desired.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes. Do not overbake.
- Let cool for about 10-15 minutes or until fully set.