Recipe: S’Mores Surprise Cupcakes
For The Cupcakes:
10 full sheets of graham crackers crushed into a fine powder
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup brown sugar packed
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk any
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 chocolate bars
For The Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting:
1 cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature
1 7 ounce container marshmallow creme
1 and 1/2 cups powdered sugar
For The Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, toss together the graham cracker crumbs, flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl with a handheld mixer or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream both sugars and butter until light and fluffy (approximately 3 minutes). Add the egg and beat on medium speed until smooth.
- Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a spatula, add the milk and vanilla, and beat again until combined. Mixture will be runny. This is ok. Decrease mixer speed to low and slowly add the graham cracker mixture. Beat until completely combined.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 of the way full (I like to use an ice cream scoop with a thumb trigger). Push 2 pieces of chocolate into the center of each cupcake. They will poke out of the top a bit. Bake 18-20 minutes or until edges just start to brown or a toothpick inserted off to the side of the middle comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely on a wire rack before decorating.
For The Marshmallow Buttercream:
- In a large bowl with a handheld mixer or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter until it is light and fluffy. Add the marshmallow creme and beat on high until smooth (approximately 2 minutes).
- With the mixer on low, add the powdered sugar. Increase mixer speed to medium and beat until completely combined (approximately 1 minute).
- Frost the cupcakes using a piping bag or a large zip top bag with the corner snipped off. Cupcakes will stay fresh covered at room temperature up to 3 days.