Recipe: Lighter Baked Chicken Parmesan
1 ¼ to 1 ½ pounds Shenandoah Valley Organic boneless, skinless chicken breasts
¼ teaspoon salt
1 large egg
⅓ cup Italian-seasoned panko bread crumbs
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Cooking oil spray
1 cup store-bought or homemade marinara sauce
3 ounces low-moisture mozzarella cheese, shredded (3/4 cup)
Fresh basil, chopped, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Place one chicken breast on a cutting board and carefully slice it in half lengthwise, creating 2 very-thin chicken cutlets. Repeat with the second chicken breast. Season the chicken all over with with salt.
- Lightly beat the egg in a wide, shallow bowl.
- In a separate wide, shallow bowl, use a fork to stir together the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and garlic powder.
- First, dip one chicken cutlet in the egg, turning to coat both sides. Next, dredge the chicken (only one side though!) in the bread crumb mixture, pressing to coat that side well. Place the chicken cutlet crumbs-side-up on the lined baking sheet and repeat with the remaining chicken cutlets.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and spoon 2 tablespoons (up to ¼ cup, depending on your preference!) of tomato sauce onto each chicken cutlet, then sprinkle the tops evenly with the mozzarella cheese. Return the pan to the oven for 4 to 5 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle the tops with fresh basil and serve with your favorite pasta or zucchini noodles!