Recipe: Lamb and Sweet Potato Curry Stew
1 tablespoon peanut oil
2 pounds lean lamb stew meat, trimmed
3 1/4 cups coarsely chopped onion
1 cup ( 1/2 inch thick) sliced carrot
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
4 cups chopped tomato
2 cups cubed, peeled sweet potato
1 (15 1/2 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can fat free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 (10 ounce) box couscous
1 hour and 15 minutes
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Add lamb; Cook 5 minutes or until browned; stirring frequently.
- Stir in onion and next 5 ingredients (onion, through turmeric); cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato and next 5 ingredients (tomato through pepper).
- Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes.
- Uncover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Prepare couscous according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.