Recipe: Guinness Stout Chocolate Cake
For The Cake
1 cup + 1 tbsp butter
1 cup Guinness
2 + 1/4 cups plain flour
2/3 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs
2/3 cup sour cream
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup + 2 tbsp light brown soft sugar
3/4 cup sugar
For The Ganache
7 oz dark chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup Guinness
1 tbsp butter
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. Grease and flour bundt pan.
- Place the butter and stout in a medium saucepan and heat gently until the butter is melted then remove from the heat.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, sour cream, vanilla extract and sugars until very smooth. Fold a third of the dry ingredients into the egg mixture, followed by a third of the stout mixture; repeat until all the ingredients are mixed together.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Cover the cake loosely with tin foil part way through baking if the top starts to get too dark.
- Leave to cool in the pan for about half an hour then carefully turn it out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- To make the ganache, place the chopped chocolate in a heat proof bowl. Heat the cream and stout together until just boiling then pour over the chocolate. Leave to stand for 5 minutes then stir until smooth; add the butter and stir until it has melted and the ganache is smooth.
- Leave the ganache to cool until it is thick and spreadable, then place the cake on a serving platter and spread the ganache in a thick layer over the top and enjoy.