Recipe: Grilled Steak With Balsamic Mushroom Sauce
2-4 New York strip or boneless ribeye steaks
2 tbsp olive oil
20 cremini mushrooms quartered
3-4 cloves garlic minced
1/2 tsp kosher salt plus more to season steak
1/4 tsp ground black pepper plus more to season steak
1/4 cup good quality balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp unsalted butter
- Heat an outdoor grill over medium heat (or stove top if preferred). Coat each steak evenly with kosher salt and pepper.
- Place steak on grill and cook for 5 minutes. Then, flip and cook an additional 5 minutes. While the steak is cooking, start on the sauce (step #5).
- Using a meat thermometer, check the internal temperature of the steak. For medium-well, remove from heat once the internal temperature of the meat is at 160 degrees. Let rest for 5 minutes before cutting and serving.
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and sauté for 8-10 minutes, until most of the juices have released and the mushrooms start to brown.
- Add the garlic and cook an additional minute, allowing the garlic to become fragrant.
- Add the salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken broth and balsamic vinegar and cook 8-10 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half.
- Add the cream and stir well. Cook until heated through and then remove from heat.
- Add the butter and stir to combine until melted.
- Serve hot over steak.