Recipe: Grilled Mushrooms
6 cloves garlic, unpeeled
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
4 large portobello mushrooms, wiped of any dirt, washed and quickly dried, if necessary
- Preheat the grill. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, toss the garlic cloves with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and some salt.
- Wrap the garlic cloves in tinfoil and place on the tray in the center of the oven. Cook until tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, 20 to 25 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the balsamic with 3/4 cup of the olive oil and the mustard.
- In a medium bowl, toss the mushrooms in the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season with salt.
- Place them, stem-side up, on the hottest part of the grill. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, you may see liquid starting to emerge from the stem area.
- Flip to the other side and cook for an additional 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer them to a tray and place in the center of the oven.
- Cook until they are tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, an additional 12 to 15 minutes.
- Season them lightly with salt.
- Remove the garlic from the oven.
- Squeeze the garlic pulp out from their skins and whisk it vigorously into the dressing.
- Arrange the mushrooms on a serving platter and top with the dressing. Serve immediately.