Recipe: Green Beans In Spicy Peanut Sauce
9 ounces green beans, tough ends removed
1 tablespoon peanut butter
1 teaspoon light soy sauce
1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoon chili flakes
1/2 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorn
1 star anise
1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
4 tablespoons peanut oil (or vegetable oil)
4 cloves garlic, minced
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add green beans and simmer until beans are cooked through. Run tap water over the beans to cool down then drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl, add peanut butter, light soy sauce and vinegar. Mix well and set aside.
- Make your chili oil: Add chili flakes, peppercorn, star anise and sesame seeds into a small bowl. Place the bowl on a heat resistant mat (or cutting board). Heat oil in a wok (or a skillet) until hot, when the oil just starts to smoke. Turn off heat immediately. Carefully use a ladle to transfer oil to the bowl of mixed spices. The oil will bubble for a few seconds and cook the spices. When the the oil stops bubbling, immediately use a spoon to stir gently, to mix everything well.
- Place the green beans on a plate and top with peanut sauce and garlic. Gradually add spicy oil, 1 teaspoon at a time, and mix everything well. Taste the salad to see whether it’s spicy to your liking. To add more spice just add more chili oil.
- Serve at room temperature.