Recipe: French-Style Spinach Quiche
Pastry dough, thawed and split in 2
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion diced
4 garlic cloves minced
5 cups fresh spinach packed
1 1/2 cups grated Gruyère cheese divided
2 dollops of goat cheese (optional)
4 large eggs room temperature
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika optional (smoked paprika can be used for extra flavor)
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- Preheat the oven to 425º F.
- Roll the doughs out on a lightly floured work surface into a circle that will fit your tart pans.
- Gently place the dough in the tart pans, pressing it firmly around the edges and trimming any dough that hangs over the edge. Prick the dough with the tines of a fork. Line the dough with parchment paper or aluminum foil buttered on its underside and fill the pan with dried beans, rice, or pie weights.
- Bake for 5 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 375°F remove the parchment or foil and weights, and prick the bottom again. Bake, uncovered, for 2 minutes more. Put to the side when done and lower oven temperature to 400º F.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil.
- Once the oil is hot add the diced onion and minced garlic. Stir and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the fresh spinach and let it wilt for 1 minute. You can cover the pan with a lid for about one minute to speed up the process. Stir to combine, spinach should be reduced in size by now. Remove filling from heat.
- Add the spinach filling onto the tarts and distribute evenly.
- Top with 1/2 cup of shredded cheese. Sprinkle evenly over the filling. Add dollop of goat cheese to each if using.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, salt, pepper, paprika and red pepper flakes until fully combined and well blended. Pour the mixture over the fillings, using a spatula to distribute it evenly.
- Cover with foil an bake for 10 minutes, remove foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes, until top is golden brown and the center is not wobbly.
- Remove from oven and you can either serve it hot, warm or cold.
- Garnish with chopped chives. Serve with a fresh salad on the side.