Recipe: Cornbread Stuffing
1 cup butter or margarine, divided
3 cups self-rising white cornmeal mix
1 cup all-purpose flour
7 large eggs, divided
3 cups buttermilk
3 cups soft, white breadcrumbs
2 large sweet onions, diced
4 celery ribs, diced
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh sage
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon seasoned pepper
7 cups chicken broth
- Place 1/2 cup butter in a 13- x 9-inch pan; heat in oven at 425° for 4 minutes.
- Stir together cornmeal and flour; whisk in 3 eggs and buttermilk.
- Pour hot butter into batter, and stir until blended. Pour batter into pan.
- Bake at 425° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool. Crumble cornbread into a large bowl; stir in breadcrumbs, and set aside.
- Melt remaining 1/2 cup butter in a skillet over medium heat; add onions and celery, and sauté 5 minutes. Stir in sage, parsley, and seasoned pepper; sauté 1 minute. Remove from heat, and stir into cornbread mixture.
- Whisk together chicken broth and remaining 4 eggs; stir into cornbread mixture. Pour evenly into 1 lightly greased 13- x 9-inch pan and 1 lightly greased 8-inch square pan.
- Bake at 400° for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.