Recipe: Chocolate Cinnamon Bread
3 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature (1½ cups)
3 cups granulated sugar
5 large eggs, at room temperature
2 cups all-purpose flour
1¼ cups Dutch-processed cocoa powder
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
¼ cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cocoa-Spice Sugar Crust:
¼ cup granulated sugar
¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon Dutch-processed cocoa powder
pinch ground cloves
pinch ground ginger
1 hour 5 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. Line two 9×5-inch loaf pans with parchment paper or foil to cover the bottoms and up the sides with at least a 1-inch overhang.** Spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in the bowl of an electric mixer until light and creamy, about 5 minutes. Add in the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, salt, baking powder and baking soda. In another bowl or liquid mixing cup, combine the buttermilk, water and vanilla.
- With the mixer on low, add ⅓ of the dry ingredients, followed by half of the buttermilk mixture, beating just until combined. Add another ⅓ of the dry ingredients, then the remaining buttermilk, followed by the remaining dry ingredients. Divide the mixture between the two prepared loaf pans. Shake the pans back and forth to even the tops, then set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, cinnamon, cocoa, ginger and cloves. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the tops of the batter. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean, 45-55 minutes.
- Let the bread cool completely before lifting out of the pans.