Recipe: Caramel Apple Fritter Bread
⅓ cup brown sugar, loosely packed
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
⅔ cup granulated sugar
½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
¼ tsp. salt
1½ tsp. vanilla extract (I used Rodelle)
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1¾ tsp. baking powder
½ cup whole milk
2 apples, peeled and chopped (I used Pinata)
½ cup salted caramel sauce
Salted Caramel Glaze:
¼ cup salted caramel sauce, warmed so it’s pourable
½ cup of powdered sugar
1-3 TBSP whole milk
1 hour 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Use TWO (one for baking, one for layering) 9×5-inch loaf pans. Spray one with baking spray and leave one alone.
- Mix brown sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 mintues.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down after each addition.
- Add the vanilla and beat for 30 seconds.
- Add flour, salt, and baking powder together in another bowl and add into creamed butter mixture and stir until blended.
- Mix milk into batter and beat until smooth.
- Pour half the batter into the non-baking spray loaf pan; add half the apples, then half the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture, then drizzle ¼ cup salted caramel sauce.
- Pour the remaining batter over apple layer and top with remaining apples, then the remaining brown sugar/cinnamon mixture and remaining salted caramel sauce.
- Using and ice cream scoop (or large spoon), scoop the batter into the prepared loaf pan. This helps with getting the yummy caramel and brown sugar throughout the bread and I find it works much better than just swirling with a knife.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean, approximately 50-60 minutes.
- Let rest 5 minutes, flip out, and set on a wire rack to cool. Place that rack on a baking sheet for glazing. Let cool on rack for 15 minutes, then glaze.
- For the glaze:
- Whisk together the powdered sugar, salted caramel sauce, and milk together until smooth and there are no visible powdered sugar lumps.
- Drizzle glaze on cake.