Recipe: Cannoli Cream Puffs
For The Puffs:
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup butter
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
For The Cannoli Cream:
1 cup ricotta cheese
2 ounces of cream cheese
3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips – optional
- Preheat your oven to 375º F.
- Bring 1 cup water to a boil in a saucepan.
- Add the butter to the water and stir until it is melted.
- Add the flour and salt all at once to the water mix.
- Stir until a ball is formed.
- Remove from heat, and add 1 egg. Beat. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining eggs 1 at a time, and beat after each addition.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Drop a heaping tablespoon of dough onto greased baking sheet 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, depending on your oven. Start checking them around 20 minutes. While in the oven, prepare cannoli cream
- Beat ricotta cheese and cream cheese together in a bowl until smooth; add sugar and vanilla. Continue to stir mixture until sugar is completely incorporated. Fold chocolate chips through the cheese mixture, if using.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate 10 minutes. When cooled, put your cannoli cream into a piping bag with tip.
- Remove puffs from the oven when done and allow to cool completely.
- To fill your puffs with the cream, force piping tip into the center of puffs and fill with desired amount of cream. Avoid over-filling / breaking your puffs.
There are so many possibilities for delicious fillings! Try with Vanilla Cream, Custard, Coconut Cream, Lemon Cream, Chocolate Cream, Strawberry Cream & any other frosting, jelly or cream!