Recipe: Calabash-Style Crispy Popcorn Shrimp
2 lb. medium to large shrimp, cleaned, deveined , tails removed
1 cup milk
2 cup all purpose flour
3 tbsp. cornstarch
canola oil for frying
salt to taste
- Mix flour and cornstarch in a shallow baking dish until well combined.
- In a separate dish, mix eggs and milk.
- Place a heavy cast iron skillet over medium heat. Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches or into the skillet.
- Heat oil over medium/medium high heat.
- When oil reaches roughly 375º F, dip shrimp in egg mixture and dredge in flour, then place shrimp in hot oil, being careful not to crowd the skillet. Turn shrimp as needed..
- Line serving dish with paper towels near skillet.
- Cook shrimp for about 2 to 3 minutes or just until golden and crispy. Remove to paper towels when done.
- Salt to taste before serving.