Recipe: Bourbon BBQ Meatballs
For The Meatballs:
1 pound ground meatloaf mix, (ground beef, pork and veal)
1 cup chopped fresh baby spinach
1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1 large egg
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
For The Sauce:
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup bourbon
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon honey mustard
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
Pinch kosher salt
1 hour 15 minutes
- For the meatballs: Preheat the oven to 350° F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat liner.
- In a large bowl, add all meatball ingredients. Using your hands mix together until fully incorporated. Roll into about 2-inch sized balls and place onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes until no longer pink. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- For the sauce: Add all sauce ingredients to a medium pan over medium heat. Whisk together to combine.
- Let the sauce mixture simmer for 20 minutes—just until it starts to bubble and cook down.
- Add meatballs to the sauce, cover and let simmer for 5 minutes. Uncover, flip the meatballs and simmer until ready to serve.