Recipe: Blueberry Fiber Muffins
1 1⁄2 cups wheat/oat bran
1 cup nonfat milk
1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2⁄3 cup brown sugar (1/2 cup for less-sweet)
1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Grease muffin cups or use paper muffin liners.
- Mix together wheat bran and milk, and let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together applesauce, egg, brown sugar, and vanilla.
- Beat in bran mixture.
- Sift together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir into bran mixture until just blended. Fold in blueberries.
- Scoop into muffin cups.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until tops spring back when lightly tapped.