Recipe: Bacon Garlic Baked Clams
For The Clams:
1 cup dry white wine
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 shallot, thinly sliced
2 thyme sprigs
1 bay leaf
24 littleneck clams, scrubbed
For The Filling:
2 thin slices of bacon (1 ounce), finely chopped
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium shallot, very finely chopped
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
2 shucked surf clams, mantles discarded and clams finely chopped, or
4 ounces shucked littleneck clams, finely chopped
1/2 cup fresh brioche breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
For The Topping:
1/4 cup fresh brioche breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon very finely chopped parsley
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
Lemon wedges, for serving
1 hour 20 minutes
Prepare the clams:
- In a large saucepan bring wine, garlic, shallot, thyme and bay leaf to a boil over high heat.
- Add the clams, cover and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until the clams open, about 5 minutes.
- Using tongs or a slotted spoon, transfer the clams to a large baking sheet; discard the cooking liquid.
- Let the clams cool slightly, then split the shells in half and transfer the clam meat to a small bowl.
- Clean 24 of the shell halves and arrange on the baking sheet; discard the remaining shells.
Make the filling:
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until browned and just crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Add the butter, garlic and shallot and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the wine and cook, scraping up any browned bits, until nearly evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and cook until reduced to a thin glaze, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the shucked clams, breadcrumbs, lemon juice and salt. Let cool slightly.
Make the topping:
- In a medium bowl, mix the breadcrumbs with the parsley, lemon zest and cheese. Season lightly with salt.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Put 1 clam in each half shell. Top the clams with the filling and the topping.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, until bubbling and the tops are golden. Serve with lemon wedges.