Recipe: Asparagus with Dressing
1 pound asparagus, trimmed
2 hard-boiled eggs, yolks and whites separated, recipe follows
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon capers
- In a large pot of water over medium heat, add the asparagus spears and steam until barely tender, about 4 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing: Put the egg yolks in a small bowl and break them up with a fork until no clumps remain.
- Add the mustard, lemon juice, vinegar, smoked paprika, salt and pepper, to taste, and whisk until smooth.
- Drizzle in the olive oil, while whisking, to make a creamy dressing.
- Arrange the asparagus on serving plates.
- Chop the egg whites and sprinkle them over the asparagus along with the lemon zest and capers.
- Drizzle with the dressing and top with freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- Serve warm, room temperature or chilled.