All Things Apples!
For all they’re worth, we really love our apples. We love them a lot. Apples are magical, each kind unique and expressive. There are thousands of unique varieties available all year long, growing in all corners of the world. Our NY State Apples are picked fresh from the orchard and delivered every week fresh. Come on down and pick your own apples today!
Apple Storage Tips:
• Store apples unwashed in the coldest part of your refrigerator
• For best results, keep your fridge at 33-35 degrees with some humidity to reduce shriveling.
• Sort through your apples and remove any damaged ones to use for juice or sauce.
• Don’t store apples with strong-smelling foods like onions and garlic. Apples can easily take on the odor of those foods.
• You’ll also want to keep apples away from potatoes as they release a gas as they age which causes apples to spoil.
How To Freeze Apples:
Freezing apples is a great way to enjoy the fruit at a moment’s notice for smoothies, snacking, and more.
- First, wash, peel, and core each apple. Use sweet apple varieties for best results.
- Next, cut the apple into even, thin slices. A medium apple yields 12 slices, while a large apple yields 16.
- Brush the slices with a water-ascorbic acid mixture, or a lemon juice and water mixture. This prevents the fruit from browning.
- Then, choose your freezing method: syrup pack or dry pack.
• Syrup Pack: Mix 2 cups of sugar in 3 cups of cold water in pot and bring to a boil. Once the sugar dissolves, place apple slices in the boiling syrup for 1 to 2 minutes. Drain and cool. Pack the apples into freezer safe bags. Remove excess air. Freeze. These slices will remain good for 6 or more months.
• Dry Pack: Place the apple slices in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Freeze until solid. Remove and pack into freezer safe bags.
7 Great Ways To Use Apples:
- Toss a fresh apple with other fruits and your green of choice (like spinach or kale) in a blender for a quick and healthy breakfast smoothie
- Use apples to make a beautiful & edible table centerpiece.
- Sweeten up a green salad with fresh apple slices
- Enjoy apple slices with your favorite “dip.” Peanut butter and Greek yogurt are two tasty and healthy choices.
- Make homemade apple chips for a quick and easy snack
- Roast apples with squash, onions, spices, and a veggie or two. Then, blend into a warm and filling soup.
- Bake them into pies, cakes, breads, cobblers and more!
Tag your awesome apple creations with #BestMarket, we’d love to see!
September 4, 2017