Recipe: Spicy Seafood Gumbo
1/4 cup roux
2 large onions, chopped
3 cups okra, chopped
2 tablespoons oil
1 can (14.5 ounces) stewed tomatoes
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 quarts water
1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
6 to 8 green onions, finely chopped
2 pounds shrimp
1 cup oysters
1 cup crab meat
Hot cooked rice
- Add shrimp to roux and cook for a few minutes. Set aside.
- Cook okra and onions in hot oil. Add tomatoes and garlic when okra is almost done.
- Cook a few minutes longer, then add water, salt and pepper.
- Combine shrimp and roux mixture with okra; simmer about 10 minutes.
- Add oysters, crab meat, and crab claws; simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add parsley and green onions and simmer another 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve with hot cooked rice.